Map Relief







Map Relief
The Window
Materials: Paper, Ink, Clear Packing Tape, Metal Pins



Process Pictures



Artist Statement

For this Map Relief, I took inspiration from the structure of the human eye. I gave always been fascinated by the iris, and the way it is shaped and formed. I often find myself entranced by the thin, complicated overlapping of fibers on the muscle of the iris. I took this pattern and heavily simplified it into triangular shapes, creating the design shown above. In a way, the iris resembles a map, mapping out each muscle fiber which works to contract the pupil. I created layers in order to establish a sense of depth within the piece, something seen in the actual human eye.
The title of this piece is "The Window", to allude to the saying that the eye is "The window to the soul". It also leaves the piece up to interpretation, as the piece itself does resemble a stained glass window.

Inspiration

Image result for human iris


Serene Ng, Artist

Carrie Dickens, Designer



Comments

Popular Posts